Sunday, February 23, 2014

Recipe: Chocolate Lava Cake

I fell in love with this cake when we lived in the US Virgin Islands. There was a mountain top restaurant on St. Johns where I first had it....it was sooo good!
Since then I've found a recipe here or there, but nothing was just right...so I blended a few and this is what I go by:
  • 1lb dark chocolate (70% + cacao please!)
  • 10 Tablespoons of butter (room temp)
  • 5 eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
OPTIONAL: If I am using a dark chocolate with orange bits in it, I add 2 or 3 Tablespoons of Grand Marnier. If I am using dark chocolate with rasberry bits, I'll add 2 or 3 Tablespoons of Rasberry Liquer. If I have shredded coconut, I'll use 2 or 3 Tablespoons of Coconut Flavor Rum...or just a handful of broken almonds and make a coconut-almond lava cake!
In a double-boiler (I use one saucepan over another with boiling water) melt the chocolate with the butter. Add the liquers, or the coconut and/or the almonds if you are so inclined. Once all melted, remove from heat and let cool.
Assemble the other ingredients...preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a small springform pan or 6 ramekins. Have a baking tray on the side.
When the chocolate has cooled down, you can begin the following:
  1. In a mixer beat the eggs (med speed)
  2. Slowly add the melted chocolate
  3. Mix med speed about 8-10 minutes
  4. Turn off mixer, remove bowl and
  5. Blend in the sugar and flour - don't over work it!
  6. Pour the batter into the springform pan or the ramekins.
  7. Place the springform pan or the ramekins on the baking tray and into the oven
  8. Bake the springform cake for 15 min OR the ramekins for 10-12 min
  9. Remove from oven, let cool about 30 minutes or more.
  10. The center will NOT be set...it is a lava cake! Enjoy.
Serve it with fresh fruit berries....just to make it "extra" healthy! : - ))

No comments:

Post a Comment