Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Recipe: Harvest Bread

A few years ago, while in Colorado, my mother-in-law toasted a slice of a most delicious bread for me.  When I asked what kind it was, she replied it was a "harvest" bread from the organic supermarket.  When I returned to Florida, I looked at our organic supermarket's bakery section and could not find anything even remotely close to what I ate.  So, I did the next logical thing:  I searched on line, and specifically the King Arthur Flour site.  (I love their products!)  Sure enough, there was a recipe for a harvest bread.  While not exactly the same, my husband swears this one is much better....maybe because it's made with love???  I've been making this bread for a few years and it never disappoints; toasted with butter or a smear of cream cheese!
The recipe is below.  While it is not hard to make, it is time consuming - so a great thing to start an evening before so you can bake in the morning.  I make my own changes to the recipe:  I use only cranberries ('cause it is usally what I have on hand), and alternate between chopped pecans or walnuts or both, again depending upon what I have in the pantry.  I don't have a "long lidded stoneware baker", but what I do have, and works very well, is a ceramic cast iron casserole with top.  (I usually make an easy Beef Bourguignon in it.)  When the bread is out of the oven, let it cool down before slicing.  I then freeze the bread and take out one or two slices as a treat to Sunday breakfast!  I have photos of my finished harvest bread below the recipe link. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment