Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Recipe: Gateau Basque - the Best Cake Ever!

I first tasted this cake at a wine fair in France.  I saw people buying these cakes two, three and four at a time.  So when I asked to buy one, the man looked at me in disbelief...only one?  "Oui" I replied.  My husband and I were with friends and our departure back home was in two days, so we were trying to keep the 'fridge down to minimum; one cake, 4 people, 2 days = done.  Boy, were we sorry!  That was the best cake we had ever had!  I knew from the sign that it was a Gateau Basque (Basque Cake).  When I arrived home, I searched on line for a recipe.  The only one that seemed to be true was by Daniel Boulud.  Here is the video link and watch him make this delicious cake.  The link includes the recipe.  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=8702205
I don't use the cherries in my gateau basque...and I add a few almond slivers to the top before baking - just to make it mine!  I baked one for New Year's Day dinner and thought to share my pictures with you!





No comments:

Post a Comment